As a child, I struggled with severe eczema, which led to dietary restrictions aimed at managing breakouts. Those early years were challenging, and the memory of them resurfaced when I noticed red blotches on my baby girl’s face. She was less than a year old when her break out started.
Determined to spare her the itchy skin I had endured, I embarked on a journey to learn how to create natural skincare products. My goal was to eliminate as many toxins as possible from our skincare routine. In Selftember, where we focus on skincare as self-care, I want to share my experience.
When we prioritize our skincare routines, we uncover a radiant glow in our skin that brings newfound confidence and energy. While we can easily find excellent natural skincare products at stores like Target, Walmart, Ulta, or Sephora, we often overlook the fact that some of the best skincare ingredients are right in our kitchens. Ingredients like eggs, lemons, and avocados are treasures waiting to be explored.
Let’s not forget the unsung hero of skincare: water. Proper hydration is essential for healthy skin. I realized this when I struggled with stubborn dark circles around my eyes. After trying numerous products with no success, I delved into research and discovered that my lack of water might be the culprit. I began drinking more water, and within a week or two, those pesky dark circles started to lighten.
Avocado, a kitchen staple, is a fantastic addition to any skincare routine, particularly for those with dry skin. Avocado’s chlorophyll hydrates the skin from the inside out, leaving it moisturized, soft, and supple. Additionally, it contains Vitamin E to minimize scars and blemishes and combat acne, while Vitamin C keeps the skin firm, soft, and wrinkle-free. The antioxidant-rich carotenoids in avocados also fight signs of aging.
Egg whites are another kitchen superstar. They can reduce the appearance of wrinkles by tightening skin pores, moisturize the skin when combined with olive oil and honey, and offer protection from sunburns, allergic reactions, and blisters by forming a protective layer.
Lemon peel, rich in vitamin C, flavonoids, bioflavonoids, antioxidants, and antifungal properties, is a hidden skincare gem. It tightens pores, reduces acne, removes dead skin cells, brightens and lightens the skin, repairs damage, fights fungal infections, and detoxifies the body. However, it’s essential to dilute lemon peel, especially if your skin is sensitive.
In Selftember, let’s embrace the power of natural skincare ingredients found right in our kitchens. As I share my favorite DIY mask, I hope it inspires you to explore the wonders of self-care skincare and the beauty that lies within your kitchen.
Title: “DIY Avocado, Egg White, and Lemon Face Mask for Glowing Skin”
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 egg white
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Prepare the Ingredients:
- Start by gathering the ripe avocado, separating the egg white from the yolk, and extracting the juice from half a lemon.
- Mash the Avocado:
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place it in a mixing bowl. Mash it thoroughly with a fork until it forms a smooth, lump-free paste.
- Add Egg White:
- Pour the egg white into the mashed avocado. Egg whites help tighten the skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Squeeze Lemon Juice:
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the mixture. Lemon juice brightens the skin, removes dead skin cells, and adds a refreshing citrus scent.
- Mix Well:
- Stir the ingredients together until you have a consistent, creamy mask.
- Before applying the mask, make sure your face is clean and free of makeup.
- Use your fingertips to apply the mask evenly to your face, avoiding the delicate eye area.
- Relax and let the mask sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse Off:
- After the mask has dried, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Gently pat your face dry with a clean towel.
- Finish by applying your favorite moisturizer to lock in the hydration.
Benefits of the Mask:
- Avocado: Hydrates and nourishes the skin, leaving it soft and supple.
- Egg White: Tightens pores and reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
- Lemon: Brightens and exfoliates the skin, promoting a more even complexion.
Use this DIY mask once a week to enjoy the benefits of glowing, revitalized skin. Remember to perform a patch test on a small area of your skin if you have sensitive skin or are prone to allergies. Enjoy your self-care skincare routine!